Armed Forces Special Powers Act
As the name suggests, it has given special powers to the armed forces (read only Central forces like Army,CRPF,BSF etc).
The special powers are :
- search without warrant
- take into custody without warrant
- kill on mere suspicion (suspicion here is from the view of the soldier and not any officer)
- police cannot intervene in the matters they take up
- the officers have immunity from trial if they kill someone
Where is it applied:
- Any place that the Indian Parliament, through a bill, notifies.
- At present J&K, the seven North-East states.
- can be repealed only by a parliament legislation.